Monday, November 06, 2006

Lesson 2 from Sarah's School of Dating

Finally it's back! After a 3 month hiatus, my dating school has been revived (not that it really died, it was more like it was in a deep sleep). I'm no expert and I doubt my opinions represent all women but then I thought I might as well keep it going. You may get a laugh. You may learn something. And remember, like I said before, it's your choice to be here. If you're looking for a matchmaker, pics of single Christians or a dating agency, you're in the wrong place. This is an educational series - for both men and women.

For those who missed Lesson 1 or would like a refresher, go here.

Since I'm a woman, Lesson 2 is going to be all about some behaviour I've observed in different women (although I'm not suggesting all women are like this). Let's start with a (fictional) story:

Susie has realised she is developing feelings for a friend at her church, Phil. She decides against letting one of her female friends know and instead keeps her growing feelings to herself. There are a number of reasons for this:
a) She's afraid one of her female friends won't be able to keep their mouth shut and she'll become the butt of church gossip. Phil will find out and there is a chance she could lose his friendship.
b) She doesn't want her feelings towards Phil to become infatuation. She's been there before - having crushes that have developed into obsessive feelings that have gone on for years, feeling jealous of other girls and seeing them as love rivals, becoming discontent in her singleness and not focusing on what God would have her do now. Susie is aware of the dangers of 'dating Phil in her mind' and instead decides to submit her feelings to God, asking that if it is not his will, to take the feelings for Phil away.

So Susie keeps her feelings for Phil under wraps and no-one has a clue. Then one day, her friend Julie (also from the same church) announces to her in confidence that she has feelings for Phil. She also announces rather bluntly that Susie had better not ever develop feelings for Phil as well. Susie almost smiles at how ironic Julie's statement is - if only she knew. But inside Susie is torn and almost angry. She feels Julie has just squashed any chance she had with Phil. Julie has 'claimed' Phil for herself, even though they are not together, and she has also announced that even if she can't have Phil, no-one else can. Of course, Phil may not be interested in either Susie or Julie so there's no problem but Susie is annoyed about Julie's attitude of 'reserving' guys for herself and declaring that no-one else can have them. Susie also knows that Julie has two other guys from church that she has 'reserved' as potential partners for herself and told other girls to 'back off'.

Time goes on and Susie doesn't dare tell Julie that they like the same man. Julie is her friend and there seems no point in having a conflict over a guy that neither of them might end up with. The one day, Phil approaches Susie about starting a relationship. Their friendship had been growing closer recently and they'd been spending more time together, much to Julie's obvious jealousy. Susie is immediately torn. She genuinely likes Phil and considers him potential marriage material. She's not liking Phil simply to spite Julie and badly wants to say 'yes' to him. Yet, she knows that Julie won't speak to her again. What should Susie do?

This may seem like a Christianised version of Mills and Boon or Neighbours but, if you're a woman, I think we've all known a few Julies in our time or maybe we've even been Julies ourselves. This behaviour is common in high school but sadly a lot of women don't grow out of it. It's not that Julie's a bad person - she wants to get married and she's attracted to a good man. This is a good thing. But she's taken it too far - she's made claims on people who do not belong to her, she's envious and she's depriving both Susie and Phil of a chance to see if they could be married - people who are both supposed to be her friends.

My opinion is that Susie should go out with Phil and then tell Julie as she tells everyone else. If Julie reacts badly - tough. Sure, Susie should be gentle with Julie but if Julie cannot accept it and move on, then she's not being much of a friend to Susie. And Susie should pray for Julie, that she'll find satisfaction in God. Chances are that Julie will marry someone else anyway and she'll later wonder why she ever had feelings for Phil. If Susie had said 'no' to Phil so she wouldn't upset Julie, what would that achieve really? Does Phil really have to stay single until Julie decides she's over him? I talked to someone who faced a similar dilemma and ended up marrying the guy. Her friend who also liked him eventually ended up marrying someone else.

Women, let's all have courage when we're Susie and repent when we're Julie.

As I said before, not all women get insanely jealous and carry on like seagulls squabbling over a dropped chip. Men, I'm interested to hear what you have to say. Do men get jealous like this? How would you feel if you were Phil and you found out what had been going on?

That's my two cents worth ;)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

that really IS a soapie!

I know for me, when I like someone I have to really be on my guard to make sure I don't let my feelings affect how I relate with my friends and, especially, that I do not let myself get jealous of other guys spending time with the girl I am interested in.

I actually have been Phil(well kinda) once. A girl and I were hanging out a bit, I was kind of interested but not really. 2 other girls(who happened to be girl 1's friends) also liked me(this was a long time ago now, 3 girls liking me at once is VERY rare.) ANYWAY, I later found out that girl one was being VERY possessive of me behind my back(even though we were not dating) and causing a LOT of grief for lots of other girls.

How did I respond? I spoke to girl 1 and told her it wasn't appropriate to treat other girls like that and also told her I didnt have feelings for her(because by now I definately did not). After that she never spoke to me again...so I don't really know what happened!

That was back in high school...i hope to never face that sort of situation again:P

Keep the dating school going:D

Sarah said...

Ah, the love dramas at ASHS :P

That's good that you (the chip) confronted the possessive seagull. It's good to know that men don't like having girls fight over them anymore than women like men fighting over them (although some may I guess).

I've kinda been Susie at times although not at high school. I've had to deal with a few Julies who've come and made it clear that certain men are 'off limits'. The 'Phils' didn't ask either of us out though and who could blame them?

The story is very soapish, I agree, but sadly there is some real life in soaps. I wonder what people who aren't Christian think when they see their Christian friends (in their 20s and 30s) behaving like high schoolers? How different are we from the rest of the world really?

Anonymous said...

I know what I think in those situations so I can just IMAGINE what older people feel like.

Was talking to my mentor today about my year to date and he was like 'i cant keep up with all that goes on with you':P I look forward to being in that phase of life!

Anonymous said...

This could all get a bit too close to home, you know. So I'd better pretend to be anonymous.

I agree with your Phil/Julie conclusion.

Do men get jealous like this? Hmm, do men talk to each other as much as the Susies and Julies? More than half the people I talk to about stuff are women.
But then, I'm probably not a typical bloke.

Going even further than this situation, one of our friends used to say that if he noticed that someone else liked a girl he would not go after her. Maybe that is OK if you're only vaguely interested, but if you like someone quite a bit, go for it. I don't think it gets you anywhere - standing back and trying to be inoffensive to all.
Plus, I think blokes are still expected to initiate things more than women are.

Sarah said...

Thanks for your comment anonymous. It was very insightful - especially the bit about a man not pursuing a woman if he knows another man likes her. As a woman, I find this disappointing because I may actually return his interest yet he's holding back for his mate who I may not be interested in. But I agree about holding back unless you're serious about the woman - no game playing!

As for men being expected to initiate relationships, that will be Lesson 3. Although, I intend to make it more of a discussion/debate because I have my opinions yet others may disagree.

Anonymous said...

well lesson 3 shall be my most awaited post yet then!:P

Anonymous said...

"But I agree about holding back unless you're serious about the woman - no game playing!"

I was referring to things being at a very early stage and strong feelings not having developed? And making an effort to get to better know someone you were potentially interested in, vs not doing so if someone else liked her?

I hadn't thought about game playing?

Oh! I just don't understand anything! Maybe one day you'll start a Diploma course and I will have to sign up!

Sarah said...

All righty, I understand about holding back if you are just starting to develop feelings but I think it's still all right to take steps to get to know the girl better - even if your mate does like her. She is a 'free agent' if you like and you are just wanting to get to know her more as a friend. If strong feelings develop from there, pursue a relationship.

Ah, I make things sound so simple, don't I?

Anonymous said...

They are simple, until guys and girls are involved:D Whether we are trying to play games or not...we inevitably send mixed signals I reckon! it sucks:P

Sarah said...

Hmmm, I think I've been guilty of inadvertantly doing that in the past. In my view, I'm just trying to be friendly but maybe some guys consider it flirting?
Then at times, I've thought guys were flirting with me and wasn't sure how to respond (whether I had feelings towards that person or not). They may NOT have been flirting but it shows how we can sometimes over-analyse things. I know people who are always convinced that other people are in love with them.

Yeah, it's such a grey area. I think I'll discuss that in Lesson 4 :P

Anonymous said...

That can be a problem for people with friendly, outgoing personalities. Just speaking as someone with bad social skills who has in the past mistaken a friendly, funny outgoing personality as personal interest.

Anonymous said...

yeah. The biggest issue for me is what "I" do to 'flirt' or show an interest often ISN'T meant that way when a girl does it to me...but because its what I do I can't help but think 'are they interested in me?'.

Sarah said...

This is getting way out of my depth hehe ;)

I don't like to immediately assume a guy is interested but I guess the question is what should you do if you are fairly sure someone IS and people are even telling you that you'd have to be blind not to notice that the person in question is interested and being not so subtle about it.

So should you approach that person and maybe ask if they are interested? Or should you stick your head in the sand and do nothing, hoping they'll get over it?

Whoa, I'm getting lots of potential topics to post on now.

Anonymous said...

Or you could try to confuse them by putting out a rumour that a third party is interested in them!
Or that you are a homosexual.
Sorry. I haven't gotten up to any tricky Sith deception lately, and it's getting to me.

Sarah said...

Err, no I don't think I'll be giving any of those excuses.

Anonymous said...

good grief this is getting confusing! i guess i really have no grounds to comment cause im married! ah well , i will continue to enjoy watching the comments go by :)

Sarah said...

Actually I find it great hearing from married people. I find that some married people (although not all unfortunately) are wise and give great advice cos sometimes they went through all this stuff themselves.

Anonymous said...

im not sure about about wise....but the experiences i have had. im too tired to write though, ive had a busy day at work, but i will stay tuned!!