Tuesday, June 12, 2007

BOO!

I had a bit of an embarrassing moment at work yesterday....

I was sitting at my desk and staring out the window, resting my eyes from the computer screen (in other words, daydreaming) when a workmate decided it would be very funny to sneak up behind me and lightly brush the top of my ear with her fingertip. After a bit of a delayed reaction, I jumped and let out the loudest, most bloodcurdling scream you ever heard. I'm pretty sure that whole floor of the library heard it!

Within seconds, a whole group of my work colleagues had gathered, thinking the ceiling must have collapsed on my head or something.

I was shaking and embarrassed and the workmate who had touched my ear was embarrassed. She said she felt really bad that she had nearly frightened me to death. I know it was just a harmless joke but I've already been suffering from random bouts of uncontrollable shaking this year so her little trick didn't exactly help with that.

It was pretty funny looking back but I'm never going to hear the end of it from those I work with. They quickly spread the news by email and complained that I had given THEM a fright and that they were suffering from whiplash, heart attacks and headaches. They asked if a supply of earplugs could be ordered for the office and that people should email me before they come and see me so I don't get a shock. I told them loud stomping would be sufficient.

Yes, I scare easily and can jump a mile. If anyone ever mugs me, the whole neighbourhood will no doubt hear me scream. When Emma lived with me, she had these woolly slipper things and when she wore them, she could walk so quietly I couldn't hear her. Then suddenly she'd appear in the doorway and I'd shriek. I told her she'd make a jolly good burglar wearing those things.

Here's some wisdom for today - if you want to sneak up behind me, be prepared for temporary hearing loss.

No comments: