Monday, November 05, 2007

Count Your Blessings








I just thought I'd take some time to reflect on how fortunate I am. You might like to do the same.

I read an article where the author stated that it is insensitive to encourage other people to 'count their blessings' as that person might be experiencing intense suffering at the time. While it is appropriate to acknowledge and even empathise others' hurts and trials, we can still give thanks for the blessings in our own lives.

I just read 1 Thessalonians 5:18 in the Bible part of which states '...........give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.' This is pretty clear and certainly doesn't leave room for the grumbling which I often find myself partaking in.

So next time........

I grumble about having to clean my house...........................
I'll be thankful that I have a home.

I grumble about my car....................................
I'll be thankful that I have transport so easily available.

I grumble about having to walk so far....................................
I'll be thankful that I can walk.

I grumble about having to go grocery shopping......
I'll be thankful that I have money to buy food.

I grumble about having to carry things................................
I'll be thankful that I have arms.

I grumble about having to vote.............................................
I'll be thankful that I live in a democracy.

I grumble about having too much 'people time'..........................
I'll be thankful that I have friends.

I grumble about going to work...............................
I'll be thankful that I have a job.

I grumble about bills.........................
I'll be thankful that I have electricity, gas, a telephone and a computer.

I grumble about being sick..........................
I'll be thankful that I have ready access to medical facilities.

I grumble about money........................................
I'll be thankful that I'm rich compared to many others.

That's just a start.

What things could you be thankful for today?

No comments: