Saturday, December 08, 2007

Forgiveness: Have I Really Forgiven Them?

As I've mentioned before, part of the problem with thinking forgiveness is a feeling is that one day you may feel forgiving towards someone and the next day you may not.

Here are some questions I ask myself when I think I've forgiven someone:
  • Am I bitching/gossiping about them to others?
  • Do I constantly keep talking about the incident?
  • How would I react if good things are happening to them?
  • How would I react if bad things are happening to them?
  • Am I secretly hoping they get what they deserve?
  • Am I still angry and bitter?
  • Do I feel more comfortable/peaceful?

Forgiveness is a process so if you think you've forgiven someone but then find you're still angry, bitter and hoping they get what they deserve - don't panic. Keep asking God to help you forgive this person. Make the decision to forgive and your feelings will follow.

Sometimes we're the forgiver. Sometimes we're the ones needing to be forgiven.

Either way, forgiveness sets you free.

No comments: