Monday, June 16, 2008

Cuddles With Ellie

Some of you may remember that my family in Albany had two ginger female cats (Ellie and Marmalade) who were sisters. We'd had them for 11 years (since they were five). Earlier this year, my parents decided to have Marmers put down since she was in such poor health. I also mentioned in that post that Ellie was grieving for her sister as this was the first time they'd been apart in 16 years.

The first time I saw Ellie since Marmers was put down was the Easter long weekend. I went down to Albany, not sure what to expect, as my mum had been telling me over the phone about Ellie's increasingly strange behaviour.

Ellie had always been a very independent cat. If she were human, I could imagine she'd be a bit of an oddball and a bit of a loner, content to do her own thing. She is quite shy and never cared too much for affection although she enjoyed when she got it. Marmers was far more outgoing and dominant. We actually doubted Ellie would miss Marmers too much at all.

Boy, we were wrong. To this day, Ellie still comes inside and makes a horrible meowing noise, poking her noise into all the rooms as if she's looking for her sister. She was so disturbed about sleeping in the shed (where they usually slept) because she could smell Marmers in there. In the end, my dad threw Marmers's old bed out (a cardboard box with old towels in it) and that helped somewhat. Then suddenly Ellie became a lap cat which was surprising as she'd NEVER liked cuddles or being picked up and would always wriggle until you let her go. When I came down, she came up to me and kept meowing at me, then she jumped onto my knee and was quite content to stay there for as long as she pleased. Now she also makes a horrible harsh meowing noise outside the back door until you let her in and put the heater on for her. Then she'll lie quietly. My brother told her, "You can pay for the heating bill." Personally I think she's a wily old cat and is playing us a bit.

Ellie often makes such a racket outside that my parents have to bring her in just so she won't disturb the neighbours. It's a noise none like we'd heard before and we believe she's calling Marmers. She's also starting to waste away like Marmers did. My dad thinks she'll eventually die of a broken heart.

I hate to see anyone depressed - people or animals. I don't know what to do for Ellie and while I very much enjoyed my cuddles with her at Easter, I hate to see my poor old pussy cat like this.

Has anyone ever had a depressed animal before and know what to do?


Ellie and I on Easter Saturday.

4 comments:

bek said...

aawwww that is really sad!!

snif

unfortunately I don't and have never owned cats so I don't have any advice sorry!

but I do feel for the poor thing!

Sarah said...

Thanks, yeah it is sad. I guess all I can do is give her lots of cuddles so she knows she is loved.

My mum is getting pretty fed up with her whinging though (it is rather loud and annoying) and keeps threatening to send her up here to live with us. Ebony would be thrilled....not! Although Ellie is an ex-farm cat and was an expert hunter in her youth so she could teach Ebony a thing or two.

Anonymous said...

Ebony may not be thrilled at first, but another animals company is probably what she's missing. Maybe coming up to live with you isn't such a bad idea. Jill

Sarah said...

Hmmm yeah except Ellie hates other cats and doesn't like dogs either. There was only ever one other cat she allowed to come into her yard and eat her food, a male who we called Charlie Chaplin because he looked like he had a moustache :) Also we're not sure how an elderly cat would go travelling from Albany to Buntine.