Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What a Friend We Have in Jesus by Joseph M. Scriven

Another new series.......

We sing this regularly at my church and it's one of the songs that I actually find relevant, helpful and very encouraging.

O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry,
everything to God in prayer.

Yesterday I was trying to finish chapter 27 of my novel and I saving my work as I went along when Word suddenly had a spak attack. It started doing something weird and I couldn't stop it. Then Word shut down completely and when I checked my USB, the book was gone, entirely deleted! As a writer, this is one of my worst fears. I have several copies but hadn't had a chance to update them yet.

To say the least, I panicked and couldn't stop the tears. That was years of work gone in an instant. I have a private blog where I upload each completed chapter so I could get most of it back but this chapter was surely gone. It was the equivalent of losing an assignment or a mostly completed assignment. To those of you who have been students, I'm sure some of you know how that feels.

I tried to find a fix for it on the net but was unsuccessful. Then Duncan came home and I was trying to stay calm when he rang his cousin who is a computer dude. Eventually we managed to resurrect the book through finding it in the temporary files where it had been saved under a weird file name.

I thought the most terrible thing would be to lose my book but as I sat and pondered later, the most terrible thing was that I did not to turn to God first in my time of need. In fact, I did not turn to God at all, I turned to every resource but him and it was like he didn't even register on my radar. I told him I was so sorry and later I found myself singing that hymn. It reminded me that no problem is too big or small to take to God and while that doesn't mean I have to sit on my butt and wait for a miracle, I had forfeited the peace that could have been mine knowing that he had everything under control.

2 comments:

Dodgy Pete said...

:) I know how it is losing work like that. Nothing worse than trying to rewrite something. It's never the same and it's such a waste.

Good call with the dong. It's ages since I've sung this. Think I might do it during communion this week.

Glad it had a happy ending ;)

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.