Monday, September 01, 2008

The Pain is Over!

I am thankful that the Eagles' wretched season has now come to an end! That's three hours I get back from each weekend from now until March. Not that I didn't enjoy watching them for those three hours but it does get more than a little frustrating watching them handball themselves into a mess. KICK THE JOLLY THING! Out of all the games I got to see, I stayed and watched each beating to the end. Duncan did not understand why I didn't change the channel or watch a movie or something.

It is such a relief to finish 15th. I never thought I'd hear myself say that. So much for Mark's 'West Coast for Wooden Spooners' group on Facebook then....hahaha :P

I'm sure there are exciting times ahead for the Eagles. Michael Voss is coming to be an assistant coach and I hope he can coach as well as used to play. Darren Glass showed he was the right choice for captain, wanting to play on and lead despite being in obvious pain.

I remember when Geelong captain, Tom Harley, was interviewed after they murdered us at home a few months back. He basically said that the Eagles are going through a low right now and they'll be back and that Geelong went through that not long ago. Now look where they are.

I read the book of Daniel in the Bible recently and one of the main themes was that earthly kingdoms will rise and fall but God's kingdom will never end. Although a kingdom may seem all conquering, powerful and unbeatable, they eventually will fall and another will rise as the new superpower. That's the same with AFL teams. It's Geelong's time now but they too will eventually fall and have to rebuild. It was the same with Essendon in 2000-01 and Brisbane in 2001-04. Everyone thought they were unstoppable but now look where they are.

The Eagles will be back. Bring on 2009.

Basically I can conclude by saying.....every team will have its day....except the Dorkers ;)

7 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Over here we´re not done yet - first play-off game is Sat. After the Lions lost last Sat, I´m a bit nervous, too.
Pain´s not over yet here ;-)

Sarah said...

Is this for soccer? But you call it football over there, right? :)

Dodgy Pete said...

Looks like we might loose Voss.

Iris Flavia said...

Yep, soccer is called "Fussball", but I talked of American Football.
Yours is a mingle of both, kinda, no?

Sarah said...

Yeah we've lost Voss :( Oh well...

Iris, ours is Australian Rules Football. Probably the closest similar code to it would be Gaelic Football but it really is a unique game.

Mark Edwards said...

Voss jumped off the sinking ship with the other rats.

Please join my new group....

West Coast for deregistration...coming to a facebook site near you soon... :)

Sarah said...

No no please register YOUR support for the inagural DDD...Dorkers Deregistration Day

Muahahahaha! :P