Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Great Sed vs Casey Dellacqua

I usually like playing tennis more than watching it but I'm enjoying watching the Hopman Cup at the moment. Yesterday, I watched Australia lose to Germany which was very disappointing. Iris will probably be pleased though.

I bet you all never knew that I once played Casey Dellacqua in a match!

Seriously, I did. It was in 1996. I was almost 13 and she's a couple of years younger than me. A group of Perth kids came down to Albany to play in a tournament. We all thought they were regular kids like us but it turned out they were junior state champions and Casey Dellacqua was among them. The Albany coaches got really annoyed when they found out because it was really just an ego boost for these kids, coming down and thrashing poor little Albanyites. I suppose there's no point trying to trick you all into thinking I once beat Casey Dellacqua. Ok, it was one sided. Ok, ok, she thrashed me......6-0 (we only played one set, that was enough).

So that's my brush with fame. It's strange that I remember her all these years later. It must be her distinctive surname because when she turned pro, I recognised her straight away. I doubt she remembers me.

1 comment:

Iris Flavia said...

Somehow that doesn´t speak for Casey´s trainer, no?

Due to all the fuss about Boris Becker my Mum made me start Tennis, too, back then.

But, I lost interest.
The Hopman Cup was really in the Newspaper here! If it wasn´t for you mentioning, I wouldn´t have seen it, though.
Cause I agree: Playing is way more fun than watching!

Now I wonder! We´re down to around -10 C. Those German player come from this, hit +40 and play?! I´d suffer a heart-attack!