Thursday, February 05, 2009

From Head to Hand: Plot

I have been told that there are two types of fiction writers. Those who create marvellous and complex characters and then create a story around them. And those who create a marvellous plot first and then form the characters who will feature in it. I was also told that there is no right or wrong here. Both are acceptable ways to write. If you've ever written any fiction, think back and determine which one you are.

Personally, I'm a plot writer first. I think of a storyline and some vague outlines for characters and the characters' personalities gradually become more complex in my head and also as I write. In my view, here are the pros and cons of each.

CHARACTER WRITER
Pros - You end up with three-dimensional, interesting characters because you have taken the time to carefully formulate them.
Cons - You can end up with a plot that doesn't really go anywhere and exists merely for the chance to show off your characters.

PLOT WRITER
Pros - You can end up with a complex, ripping yarn that takes your readers on a wild adventure.
Cons - You can end up with 'wooden characters' who you haven't really taken the time to develop because you were so focused on creating a the twists and turns in the plot.

I think most writers tend to be one or the other. I know I have to be careful to make my characters seem real to the reader. The book I'm writing is so long with little subplots here and there, I don't want to fall into the trap of creating characters who don't really have much purpose in the narrative.

Another 'golden rule' that was pushed onto me at uni was to write about what you know. In other words, don't try to be too imaginative and write about situations that you have no experience in. Get inspiration from your own life or the lives of others close to you and create characters based on those you know. This is codswallop in my opinion. While some people do lead very interesting lives which would make great reading, I think some people are also right when they say that their lives are very boring. If everyone wrote about what they knew then who would write historical fiction, period pieces, fantasy, sci-fi etc? A lot of authors out there write about people living centuries before then and they rely on research for historical accuracy. Even if they were inaccurate, none of us were alive back then to protest anyway. My book is nearly ALL beyond my experience. I have had to rely on research and I hope to get some people who have experiences in areas that I don't to read my manuscript and give it an honest assessment. Many movies and books are scrutinised by those who are experts in the field but in the end you have to ask what the main goal of writing fiction is. I suspect it is entertainment. Think of some popular Aussie TV shows. Doctors and nurses will always criticise All Saints, homicide detectives will scrutinise City Homicide and farmers love to poke fun at all the glamorous women on McLeod's Daughters. But these shows continue to pull viewers because of the entertainment value they offer.

Don't be afraid to write beyond your experience. Take your readers on a grand adventure that hooks them from the start. Research, research, research and call on the life experience of those you know.

No comments: