Monday, March 16, 2009

Has Facebook Killed the Blogging Star?

I've written about my struggles to get people to comment on this blog numerous times before. On Facebook, however, it is a different story. Often the comments flow thick and fast about even the most menial status updates but when I write a post that's deep and meaningful, suddenly many of the commenters are nowhere to be found.

Yes, I'm pointing my finger at YOU Facebook!

I interact with many people on Facebook and far less on this blog although some I have the pleasure of interacting with on both. The problem I see is that many bloggers spend more time on Facebook than they do on their blogs and gradually most of my interaction with fellow bloggers is occurring on the forementioned beast. I really hope Facebook does not 'replace' blogging as I believe that would be a tremendous shame. On Facebook you can do a quick status update about nothing but by blogging you get to share much more than 'Sarah had toast for breakfast'.

Perhaps that's why Facebook is gradually 'luring' many bloggers away from their blogs. Now I know that many of us (myself included) endeavour to interact regularly on both but I think the lure of Facebook is that enables us to say not very much in a small amount of time with less thought put into it. Perhaps this also suits many people today who love shallow conversation but when the topic turns deep and personal, they slink away scared.

Here are my tips (from experience) about how to get people to interact with you on your blog rather than Facebook:
  • Post about something on your blog before you announce it on Facebook. Otherwise people will not bother leaving a comment on your blog because they have already Facebooked you about it.
  • Ditto with photos.
  • Link to your blog from your Facebook profile (although I have chosen not to do this because I am a bit picky with my readership).
  • Don't abandon your blog, keep updating it regularly.

P.S. This doesn't mean I want you to ignore me on Facebook :)

1 comment:

Scott Parker said...

I have the same problem Sarah. I get far more comments about my measly FB statuses, but not that many on my blog. Sometimes I find it easier to update FB everyday, but Blogging is more difficult. I like your tips on this post, and try to put them into practice on my own blog.