Friday, January 08, 2010

From Head to Hand: The Head to Hand Divide

One of the most frustrating things about being a writer is that what appears on paper (or on the computer) is seldom as good as it was in your head. Somewhere between head and hand, there is a derailment of sorts and the masterpiece of your thoughts gets somewhat lost in the writing process.

Often I think of some great dialogue in my head but by the time I get it down, I've forgotten it. Sometimes this happens late at night and I'm contemplating putting a notebook next to my bed to jot down any inspirational thoughts before they disappear forever.

Someone told me that Woody Allen once spoke about this frustration and I've been searching for a quote from him online but can't find it. If anyone knows the exact words, please let me know. I sure know what he was talking about though.

Generally I'm pretty happy when I reread what I've written but it still doesn't reach the lofty heights I thought I had achieved in my own head.

Still, that's being a writer for you.

1 comment:

Rodney Olsen said...

Your post reminds of the lines from the song Floating Back by The Call.

I find it hard to speak / So much remains unsung
For there's a million miles / Between my heart and tongue