Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Acts 2:46 Stall

We have Lions Markets being held up here every few months, and they're a great opportunity to have your own stall and sell your wares, whether it be something you've created or if you just need to de-clutter.

What I've found hard up here is that there are less 'organised' ministries up here, but on the other hand there are plenty of opportunities to be creative in finding a way to love God and your neighbour.  You just need to be on the lookout for them.  So, in the past year or so, I've been finding myself becoming increasingly passionate about selling my possessions with the purpose of raising funds for those in need.  Whether it be a local person in financial need or an organisation that spreads the gospel and does good in the world, this is what my heart is intent on doing.

I had my first attempt at doing this at our local school fete last September where we got rid of a lot of crap out of our little house and all proceeds went to Pregnancy Problem House.  Last month I heard another Lions Market was planned for the end of March, and I invited the ladies at my church to join me in 'de-hoarding'.  Some were VERY enthusiastic and donated heaps of stuff, and came down to the park to help Duncan and I out.  After asking around for a worthwhile cause, the chaplaincy at the local district high school seemed to be a unanimous choice (the chaplain goes to our church, and the church is keen to support him in his work).

We raised just over $230.  Unfortunately the markets were a bit of a fizzer that day.  I was a bit disappointed, and was hoping to raise much more, but still...it is another $230.  I'm keen to do it again sometime.

I was struck while reading Acts about the generosity of the early church towards believers and unbelievers alike.  We were just getting rid of stuff we didn't want, but they were selling property and donating the money.  How cool is that!

Having a stall really is an easy way to raise money.  There are always a plethora of markets, fetes and swap meets about.  Not only that, it is a way of doing good in the community that isn't too scary for shy people.

No act of love is in vain.  I keep having to tell myself that.


1 comment:

Iris Flavia said...

That´s really cool!
We only have the usual Flea-Markets - at least as far as I know... They are huuuge, but money stays with the sellers.

Liking silver, I´d happily bought the handbag!