Thursday, May 20, 2010

From Head to Hand: The End!

Starting a story is easy.

Ending it is much harder.

When I read a book, I want the ending to be realistic yet fulfilling.  The schmaltzy Hollywood conclusions where everyone lives happily ever after only do so much for me.  But, on the other hand, I don't like endings that are too random or just plain miserable.  Novel reading is meant to offer a sense of escapism after all, and I don't want to be reminded too much of the stark realities of life.

For a long time I toyed with two possible endings for my book.  One is happier, but still has its downsides.  It's positive, but not perfect.  I think most readers will feel fulfilled, but still not have everything happen that they may have liked.  The other ending would have thrown some readers a bit more, and I think some may have been disappointed.  Therefore, I decided on the first ending.

I've watched a fair few movies in recent years with somewhat random endings.  Without warning, the credits started rolling, and I was left staring at the TV screen wondering, "Is that it?"  In my view, you can't just stop a storyline out of nowhere with no form of resolution and expect audience/reader satisfaction.

A silly ending can really ruin an otherwise good story, and then the reader is not going to remember the fabulous twists and turns in the plot; they will only remember the ridiculous conclusion which sunk the whole storyline.  I remember a few years back I was watching the Australian movie Lantana, and was completely fascinated by the mystery in the storyline, wondering how on earth such a great plot was going to resolve itself, only to be disappointed by the completely lame ending.  If you're writing a piece of fiction, I suggest you have a clear view of the plot from start to finish, and how it is going to end.  Writing with no real direction risks a dumb ending that can change an otherwise positive view of your work.

How about you?  If you've written any fiction, did you find it easy to end your work?  If you're a reader, what sort of endings satisfy you?

No comments: