Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Me, Myself and an Online Sermon

When I told first told Christians who I had fellowshipped with in Perth that I was moving to the country, the overall response was not very positive.  I got the doubtful looks, someone even told me that I would be 'wasted' out there in 'woop woop'.  I was told that there are no good churches in the country.  Then came the comment I will never forget, "Oh well, at least you can listen to online sermons."

I was floored!  At least you can listen to online sermons.  What kind of a comment is that?  And how could they say there are no good churches in the country when they don't want to venture past the comforts of the metropolitan area to see for themselves.  That was when I began to realise the deep degree of theological snobbery in many city churches.

Since leaving Perth, I find it hard to return and ask friends, "So how's church?" or "Which church are you going to now?" if I've lost touch with them a bit.  More often than not, I'm greeted with a long list of things that are wrong with their particular church (which, in many cases, is my old church) - the sermons don't 'reach me' (whatever that's supposed to mean), there are too many marrieds, kids etc and I don't fit in, I don't like the music, I don't like the direction the church is heading (which is not about false teaching, but usually they resent the fact the church wants people to move out of their comfort zones and be active in the community).  I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. 

Then there are the drifters, the ones who say they're looking for a new church, but weeks have turned into months and they're not really going anywhere.  I want to be careful here because I know some people have been badly burnt by churches and have good reasons for leaving.  But I think some people are simply on the lookout for the perfect church and become disillusioned when the impossible evades them.  I know because I've been there.

I wonder if I surveyed many Christians I know and asked them what their reasons for going to church are, what answers I would get.  I strongly suspect, "To get good teaching," would be at the top of the list, and that is why a number of people are disgruntled with their churches; they are on the weekly lookout for a 'super sermon' that speaks into their soul in a most amazing way.  As the pastor at my old church pointed out once, hearing God's word is a lot like eating.  We need to keep eating meals regularly to survive, but we don't remember every meal we've ever had.  Not all meals were spectacular, although we do particularly remember the spectacular ones.  But each meal was sustaining and growing us, and it is much the same with hearing the Bible taught each week. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe the faithful teaching of Scripture to God's people, whether it be in a sermon or small group format, is vitally important.  But it isn't the ONLY important thing about church.  If you start to think it is, then that's when you can get some of the skewed reactions about online sermons that I received.  If you're only going to church to be taught, to get something out of it for yourself, then you may as well stay at home and listen to an online sermon.  But as Hebrews 10:24-25 says church is about much more than a take, take, take mentality.  An online sermon may help you learn from God's word, but that will count for naught if you don't put it into practice.  And God in His wisdom knows that often happens in the company of other believers.  As we meet with those who differ with us on issues we cherish, as we observe different traditions in practice, our rough edges are sawn off as we are transformed into Jesus' likeness.  Community with other believers can be painful, but it is what we need.

I learnt a painful lesson a few months after moving here.  I learnt that if I only go to church for what I can get out of it, I will tire of church pretty quickly.  For many weeks, Duncan had to practically drag me along on a Sunday morning.  There was so much about my new church I couldn't get used to or didn't fit my ideals.  I was spending nearly as many weekends in Perth as I was up here at times.  But when God taught me I needed an attitude change, that's when things started to turn around.  I started to realise that I go to church to encourage others, to GIVE.  And as I tried to commit to spending as many weekends as possible at home,  I realised that was the only way I was going to get to know people and love them accordingly.  It's not rocket science, but it was pretty radical to me at the time.

My church doesn't have all of the opportunities and speakers that city churches have ready access to.  We haven't had a permanent pastor for three and a half years.  We rely heavily on lay preachers.  I still don't 'get' some of the traditions.  In fact, some of them downright irk me.  But in my church there are people who have faithfully walked with the Lord for many years, who offer encouragement, who are committed to meeting together and drive long distances to make that happen, and who show amazing hospitality.  Therefore, I find it very hard to listen when my city friends want to complain incessantly about their churches.  The city is spoilt with choice which I don't think is necessarily a good thing.  Living in the country has taught me a lot about faithfulness and commitment as I've had the choice taken away.

I still listen to online sermons on my days off.  They are an incredible blessing.  But when I think of sitting alone on a Sunday morning and listening to one while everyone is fellowshipping and worshipping the Lord Jesus together, I know where I'd much rather be.

Do not give up meeting together.

4 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

I think the problem is that most people have become 'consumers'.

We choose every product for the benefit it brings us and we have an amazing array of choices. Unfortunately many have turned church into a product and people are still trying to find the 'product' that brings them the greatest benefit.

As far as the online sermons go, I have the privilege of hearing a truly fantastic preacher at church each Sunday but I still listen to podcasts during the week. I love the opportunity of hearing a range of great teachers each week but for people to suggest that's the only way you'll hear a good sermon shows their ignorance. I have certainly met many Godly people with a lot to teach others in country areas.

asadisae said...

visit you..., good info,

please visit my blog ... hi

Ali said...

Thanks for this post. I agree with you completely. In our church there is a lot of unrest, and people have left for reasons having more to do with personal preference than biblical discernment. I just can't square that with the Bible! If you're committed to a group of people, you are committed despite the difficulties that come along the way. Offended? The Bible tells you how to deal with that. Bored? Take responsibility for your own spiritual life. Don't fit in? The Church is all about people who don't fit in!

So, yeah. I like what you said, Sed.

Sarah said...

Thanks Ali :)