Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Karajini

After five nights in beautiful Exmouth, we headed inland to Tom Price to visit our friends, Joel and Sam.  For those unfamiliar with West Australian geography, Tom Price is a mining town of approximately 5,000 people in the Pilbara region (north) of WA.

On our second full day in Tom Price, Duncan, Sam and I (unfortunately Joel had to work) went out to Karajini National Park.  Here there is an amazing array of gorges and waterfalls - like an oasis in the desert.  A lot of the gorges are only accessible by four-wheel drive so we only went to Fortescue Falls and the amazing Fern Pool

My back was playing up for most of our trip which made the steep descent into the gorges quite difficult and painful.  Yay for my hiking stick which I used as a walking stick like a little old granny.

Fortescue Falls

Red dragonfly.  There were so many incredible looking insects.

Fern Pool.  What a BEAUTIFUL place God created here.
Sam and I in the water.

Swimming was SO good for my back!


We had a friend join us for lunch.







Sam told me about a drunk tourist she heard about who jumped off this gorge last year.  Apparently his mates dared him to and filmed him on the way down.  Miraculously he landed in the pool, but hit the bottom and ended up a quadriplegic.

4 comments:

bronze casting said...

It does not produce thumbnails. At least not with some WP installations. I wasted far too much time last night trying to get it to work. Others have brought this problem up with the developer and he is at a loss to figure out what it’s not working.

Sarah said...

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. Do you mean you can't see the photos in the post?

Iris Flavia said...

Awwww, beautiful pics, thanks for sharing!
Minus 2C this morning, those pics and memories warm me up a bit :-)

Dumb/sad ending, though - what kind of a "friend" that "poor" fella had...

Sarah said...

Yeah it happened in 2009 apparently. I have no idea who he was.