Thursday, December 09, 2010

Neighbourhood by Vonda Shepard

I'm currently in the midst of packing for our move which is less than two weeks away!  One of the most interesting things about an otherwise fatally boring task such as packing is rediscovering things you haven't seen for years, and exclaiming over them like they're long lost friends.  I was going through CDs of photos which I'd stacked next to my computer, and found photos from years ago.  It's good to laugh at the fashions and hairstyles of yesteryear, but there was also a twinge of sadness.  I rarely see some of those people these days, and some I've lost touch with completely.  Then I was reminded of this song from Ally McBeal.

Here's a photo I've been looking for.
It's a picture of the boy next door,
And I loved him more than words can say.
Never knew it 'til he moved away.

Faded pictures in my scrapbook.
Just thought I'd take one more look,
And recall when we were all,
In the neighbourhood

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Here's a photo of the neighbourhood.
Here's the corner where we stood.
Here's a snapshot of Dad's old car.
Never got us very far.

And all those friends,
Where did they go, I don't know,
All those friends we used to know,
In the neighbourhood.

3 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful, sad song!

Good luck on the move, two weeks is nothing!
Guess you won´t have the "comfort" we had and just drive between places once a day to get all the little stuff moved ;-)

Sarah said...

Argh don't remind me it's so close! :)

No, our new home is 6 hours away from our current one so we have to do one big trip. Even when I moved suburbs in Perth, I found doing lots of little trips quite draining.

Iris Flavia said...

I know... but maybe it´s better to have to move in one piece. I so hated to drive and drive again and again...