Monday, January 03, 2011

From Head to Hand: Tall Poppy Syndrome

As I continue to edit my first novel, and interested family and friends ask questions about the storyline and characters, I am becoming more and more aware that my book will not appeal to everyone.

And that’s ok.

Seriously, who can write a book that will appeal to everyone? Nor do I want to attempt that feat. I am writing, first and foremost, for myself, and if others like it, great! If they don’t, too bad. Of course I am hoping for a considerably large readership so that my first major writing venture may be successful, but I will not compromise my own passions and interests and become a slave to the ‘audience’.

I also know that some of my friends and family will have no qualms with letting me know all about it should they dislike my book. Not only do I seem to be a magnet for such outspoken people, I’m already aware that some people consider themselves designated literary critics. I often hear them complaining about the latest bestseller, lamenting how such a lame piece of work (in their eyes) could have become such a hit. “That author can’t string a decent sentence together,” they complain.

Then there are those who automatically loath anything that becomes popular and mainstream – simply because it is popular and mainstream. The Harry Potter series seems to be on the receiving end from these critics who prefer the quirky, offbeat, and ‘undiscovered’ pieces of literature. Then when the alternative becomes mainstream, they either don’t like it anymore, or claim loudly that THEY were the ones who discovered it first. When I ask them if they’d actually read something popular, such as Harry Potter, they reply, “No, why would I waste my time?”

Hmmm don’t judge a book by its cover.

As my book has edged closer and closer to being submitted to a literary agent, I am becoming increasingly aware of when I ungraciously spit out my own destructive criticisms on other artists. It’s easy to wonder how exactly some Hollywood celebrities did manage to grace the red carpet when they seem devoid of talent, but it’s also easy to be an armchair critic when you have never actually attempted any creative work yourself. Now that I’m attempting to become a published author, it sure would hurt if some of my loved ones hurled the same contempt at me and my book that they reserve for Britney Spears. We really do need to ask ourselves, “What have WE done that’s better than them?” Have we got a bad case of the green-eyed monster? Is Tall Poppy Syndrome coming into play?

I know some people will be less than gentle with my creative work because they are less than gentle people with their words full stop! But it won’t stop me asking for people to be gracious and tactful. I’m not writing this book because I want to invite everyone to give an opinion; I’m writing mostly for myself, and to tell a fictitious story that I hope will bring much entertainment.

If you’re an artist of any kind, then you’ll probably be able to relate to this. It’s a scary process putting our work out there because often we’re putting a part of our heart and soul out there. Please don’t be discouraged. Critics will come, but it’s also an opportunity if they don’t like it to dare them to do it better.

No comments: