Monday, February 14, 2011

Sitting Waiting Wishing by Jack Johnson

I thought these lyrics were appropriate with it being Valentine's Day today.  It has become the anthem for some of my single friends.  I remember falling in love with the lyrics when I first heard this song.  How much time had I wasted wanting one guy to notice me?  How many times did I pretend to be something I wasn't just to get his attention?  How many times did I realise that guy was never going to do anything because either he just wasn't that into me or was too shy and awkward?  Yep, Jack Johnson has hit the spot here.

Now I was sitting waiting wishing
That you believed in superstitions.
Then maybe you'd see the signs.
But Lord knows that this world is cruel,
And I ain't the Lord, no I'm just a fool,
Learning loving somebody don't make them love you.
Must I always be waiting, waiting on you?
Must I always be playing, playing your fool?

I sing ya songs, I dance a dance,
I gave ya friends all a chance.
Putting up with them wasn't worth never having you.
And maybe you been through this before,
But it's my first time,
So please ignore
The next few lines cause they're directed at you.
I can't always be waiting waiting on you
I can't always be playing playing your fool

I keep playing your part,
But it's not my scene.
Won't this plot not twist?
I've had enough mystery.
Keep building me up, then shooting me down.
Well, I'm already down,
Just wait a minute.
Just sitting, waiting.
Just wait a minute.
Just sitting, waiting.

Well, if I was in your position,
I'd put down all my ammunition.
I'd wondered why'd it taken me so long.
But Lord knows that I'm not you,
And if I was I wouldn't be so cruel,
Cause waiting on love ain't so easy to do.

Must I always be waiting, waiting on you?
Must I always be playing, playing your fool?
No, I can't always be waiting waiting on you.
I can't always be playing playing your fool, fool.

No comments: