Thursday, October 18, 2012

Get On Your Soapbox #22

This past winter seemed to have been especially shocking for sicknesses.  Not only was I sick with one thing after another, one only had to check Facebook to realise that no-one seemed to be untouched by these lurgies.

What really annoys me when I'm sick (or anytime really) is when people try to analyse why I'm sick.

"You need more fresh air/vitamins/vegetables/organic food/(fill in the blank)."

I hate it when people say, "Oh you're sick AGAIN?" or "You're ALWAYS sick," and then eye me critically as if it MUST be all my fault.

The reason this annoys me so much is that sickness is not always about cause and effect.  Sometimes we don't know why we're sick....we just are.  A person can eat their own organically-grown food their whole life and still die of cancer.  Another person can smoke a pack a day for decades and live long enough to get their telegram from the Queen.

No-one seems to be untouched.  Everyone seem to have been sick this winter - the old, the young, the gym junkies, the overweight, the smokers, the non-smokers...you get my drift.

We should make an effort to take care of our bodies, but sometimes the only explanation for why we are sick is that we live in a fallen world.  We will not cure all illnesses this side of heaven.

When I'm sick, all I want is a sympathetic ear and some practical help - not to be analysed like I must have done something wrong.

No comments: