Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Year of Farewelling Pets

A few weeks ago, I received some very sad news.  A friend of mine from Albany saw Ebony listed on a Facebook buy, swap and sell page.  The bloke who I gave her to was trying to rehome her due to being too busy and her not getting along with his farm dogs.

I was devastated to say the least.  I just wanted her back.  I worried about what the impact of going to yet another home would be on her.

A few days later I received a call from a lady who had adopted Ebony.  She wanted to know if Ebony's microchip was still registered in my name or the guy I'd given her to.  She sounded lovely and said Ebony has settled in well with her family in a town an hour south of us.  Her three boys are doting on her and she is lapping it up.  This put my mind at ease somewhat.

But I still miss her terribly.  This will be my first Christmas without her in many years.


This has been a horrible year, as far as my pets are concerned.  Another hen, Shelley, passed away last night.

3 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

So sorry about your losses, Sarah.
But actually I am very releived to learn Ebony is not amongst them but found a nice home more or less close to you.
That is a good thing, no?

Wendy said...

Feel for your Sarah. We heard this morning that my sister-in-law's two dogs ate baits for wild pigs on their neighbour's property yesterday and passed away (in a terrible fashions) overnight. One of those dogs was like a child to them. I'm so thankful we can be with them tomorrow for a few days. Pets really take a piece of our heart with them when they leave us, no matter how that happens.

Sarah said...

Oh that's so sad, Wendy. :( I would love to bait for foxes here, but I'm afraid my dogs would get them.